We work hard. We play hard. And we only hire the best.
Now accepting applications (or bribes) for the following position:
Media Relations Specialist
This is a client-facing opportunity at a growing marketing strategy and creative firm. This position will develop and execute successful media relations strategies that support the overall business goals and priorities of the agency and agency clients. They will work closely with account teams and clients to provide strategic media relations counsel, to develop effective media relations plans, to execute those plans and to evaluate the results of that outreach.
As a media relations specialist, you should have a solid understanding of the current media landscape. You will develop and foster relationships with key stakeholders, influencers and media contacts. As a specialty resource for core account teams, you will thrive by being an enthusiastic collaborator with agency teams and leaders with direction from the director of strategic communication and public relations and senior leadership team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates and implements public awareness and media relations strategies to support travel client strategic priorities. Works with other OBI staff and communications’ department to manage inbound media inquiries and coordinates appropriate response. Monitors media coverage performing supplemental online searches as needed and compiles regular reports/analyses.
- Plans and maintains news release calendar, coordinating with OBI director and manager of strategic communications.
- Manages and implements aggressive media relations activities, including writing and distributing news releases and actively pitching client leadership, programs, and issue priorities to traditional and new media outlets.
- Writes, pitches and distributes blog posts and articles on behalf of clients. Assists in placing existing client-generated content in external media and online outlets.
- Must develop a broad knowledge of the travel industry.
- Develop earned media management approach for media relations job function.
Qualifications & Experience
- BA degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related field.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of public relations, marketing or relevant work experience in one of the following areas: prior agency, communications or media.
- Knowledge of issues, institutions and individuals related to travel strongly preferred.
- Must demonstrate superior writing skills and the ability to product under tight deadline pressure.
- Must have established track record of media placements and successful public outreach and awareness campaigns.
- Must have experience in and understanding of all current media relations and public communication techniques and platforms, including traditional, online, and social media.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, good judgment and attention to detail.
- Ability to balance heavy workload with short and long-term project deadlines, address changing priorities and work well under pressure required.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer applications, experience with online media-relations tools, image editing/ visual storytelling, content management systems and basic html strongly preferred.
- Experience with policy advocacy communication desired.
Must be able to fluently speak, read, write and understand the English language as well as industry terminology related to the job. Able to quickly learn terminology and jargon appropriate to client campaigns. Sufficient fluency to be able to interact with clients regarding the details of their campaigns, conduct or participate in meetings, compose professional emails, letters or memos, compose and proofread copy for campaigns, complete the documentation requirements of the job and interact successfully with clients, vendors, members of the media, employees, peer coworkers and OBI Creative management. Ability to recognize and interpret non-verbal cues. Ability to provide calm and clear leadership during periods of intense workload. Ability to communicate expectations with those he/she supervises, including the ability to conduct performance appraisals and implement performance improvement plans. Ability to read a map and or follow GPS direction.
Primarily works indoors in a facility maintained by OBI Creative that will typically be in good repair, clean and well lit. Occasional exposure to variations in temperature, dust, fumes, cleaning products. Frequent exposure to moderate noise from printers, phones, photocopiers etc. Frequent interruptions and changes in priorities based on needs of clients. Drives to client meetings in various locations, being exposed to extremes in temperature and changes in driving conditions.
Ability to gain access to the work area and then safely perform the duties of the job while utilizing standard and specialized equipment, including but not limited to the equipment described below. Ability to perform duties while sedentary, working at a desk and viewing a computer screen for extended periods. Vision and hearing within normal limits, with or without correction.
Automobile, phone, laptop, photocopier
Director of Strategic Communications
Salaried, full-time permanent
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and resume to:
Kristin Olson, Director of HR & Administration